Friday, July 8, 2016

My F*** Toy, Unsafe?

    I bought my first sex toy roughly three years ago. I've since broadened my horizons, I now have two full drawers of toys of different varieties. However as much as I would love and I really mean LOVE to say "all the toys I've purchased were safe and of good quality" they aren't. Up until recently I was completely unaware that there even was unsafe or toxic sex toys. But I want to bring knowledge and awareness to the rest of the world. 

    Toys are made of all kinds of different materials. Some are safe and some are unsafe. To list a few of the materials used: Silicone, PVC(plastic), Jelly, and a couple different types of metal. As of now the FDA do not regulate these toys and call them novelty items.  Even though we put into our bodies. So there is nothing that says a manufacturer cannot lie to us... The consumers.
    So let's chat about what can harm us. Some companies use Phthalates (plastic softener) which is used in several things from; our adult toys, children's plastic toys, insect repellent, paint, and worse yet ROCKET FUEL! These chemicals when used in toys eventually leak, lead and other harmful materials can be absorbed into our bodies.
    Other things can also cause a toy to be unsafe such as porous materials used to make the toy. When the material used is porous the toy is then hard to clean and can harbor bacteria, which can cause infections. 
    Ok so we've learned a little about the bad, let's learn good stuff. Good materials for our grown-up naughty time: Silicone(non-porous, hypoallergenic, easy to clean, odorless, non-toxic, and long lasting), Elastomer(used in medical implants, a lot like Silicone is ability to clean, odorless, non-toxic, and also long lasting), Soft vinyl(this is food grade vinyl, soft and pliable, also not super porous), glass toys (made from a type of glass much like PyrexTM, retain temperature well, easy to clean, non-porous, and hell you can throw it in the dish washer), metals(non-porous, easy to clean, super strong, long lasting with proper maintenance).
     There are other safe materials, and there are other bad ones to I'm sure. I just hope that before you buy your next toy that you like me will do some research and learn from my mistakes. Toys are fun, alone, and together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment